Second visit

 Name and Location: Lake Sonoma Wildlife Area - No Name Trail

My new favorite majestic oak tree.  

  1. Time and Date: 10/12/2020; arrival 3:29pm, departure ~4:00pm                                             
  2. Weather: 90 degrees F, wind S 4mph, no rain, humidity 19%, air quality 30                                                          
  3. Alone or with people?: With fiancé

It was an interesting hike to my little observation side today.
The ground felt drier and sandier and we saw a baby rattlesnake on the trail. We saw him early enough to neither scare us or him/her. It was so small, that I first thought of a glass lizard, but its beautiful coloring and at closer inspection, the very well developed rattler gave it away. After a while he slowly slithered away into the grasses next to the trail, that's when we passed and moved along. It was a Northern Pacific Rattlesnake (Crotalus Oreganus Oreganus). I've gotten so good when it comes to spotting snakes. I used to pay much less attention, I think mainly because I didn't grow up in a place where it was an actual occurrence. My partner is extremely finicky and scared of snakes, and he spent many hours frustrated with me for walking by a big rattlesnake without even realizing it. Awareness is key :-)












Interesting red-stemmed plant. Growing close to the ground, about 14 inches high. Multiple branches with green/brown/yellow clusters of what looks like dried pollen; there's a little purple in it too, which I thought was extra. The first item on the drawing sheet.  




At the side itself, there were very few visible changes to see, mainly what I observed was more dried out acorns on the ground. I love the smell during this time of the year. Autumn is getting more and more visible. The leaves of the deciduous trees are slowly but surely turning yellow and orange.



Waxy green leaves on this about 30-inch tall plant (a lot of taller one present) - third item on the drawing sheet.


Other than that what I thought was interesting was that it felt hotter and more humid, even though the temperature was exactly the same as the week before. Humidity was up by 3%, so it makes sense that it felt more humid. 



Many dry pinecones splattered everywhere - the second item on the drawing sheet. On the note of pinecones, my mom has an obsession with pinecones, and in Europe we not only collect them for art and craft projects but also to burn, they smell so wonderful. I am not sure if that is good for the environment though? I should investigate that because I definitely don't want to be doing it if it's detrimental for the environment and plant life.  


The overview and beginning observation and meditation side.


This week's question is closely related to last week's where I was wondering if it was prime mating season for lizards. Is it prime mating season for rattlesnakes as well? Also how big do rattlesnakes really get? I have only seen two in my time since I moved to California. The baby rattler I saw here in Lake Sonoma and then a huge one in Sequoia National Park a couple years ago.



1. Wild Buckwheats (Eriogonum)
2. Pine cone (Pinus)
3. Juvenile Live Oak





 

Comments